Open collaboration is a collaboration, that is:
- egalitarian (everyone can join, no principled or artificial barriers to participation exist),
- meritocratic (decisions and status are merit-based rather than imposed)
- self-organizing (processes adapt to people rather than people adapt to pre-defined processes).
Main places to find open collaboration are on:
- wikis, on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation projects;
- in open source, in open data and open government initiatives, open innovation, citizen engineering, peer production, and so on.